Bolt is a venture capital firm designed specifically to help hardware startups refine and engineer their product offering. Our full-stack engineering team and multi-million dollar prototyping shops enable hardware entrepreneurs to succeed faster and with less capital. We are seeking a full-time mechanical engineer to join us in our San Francisco office.
We are a fast-paced, dynamic environment where it’s not unusual to work on many different products in a given day. Our work covers the entire product development process including conceptual exploration, hands-on prototyping, engineering analysis, and working with contract manufacturers. As a candidate for this role, you must thrive working in this environment and through the entire process.
Like all of our team, this role is highly autonomous and demanding, often with odd hours and a high degree of flexibility in both scope and time.
A Typical Day May Include
- Working closely with Bolt’s industrial designer and mechanical, electrical, and prototyping engineers to refine the design of a knee-rehabilitation device
- Building prototype parts and test equipment in the machine shop for a device that detects childhood asthma
- Whiteboarding manufacturing and assembly ideas for mass production of a blood-collecting health product
- Designing and analyzing injection molded, extruded, machined, cast, welded sheet metal, and purchased components for a new type of home exercise equipment
- Helping set goals for the next six months of development for a portfolio company that makes an outdoor vegetable-growing system
- Validating the cost targets of high-volume production for the product assembly of a retail-analytics product
- Meeting with a potential new portfolio company and determine if their device/system is feasible to build, both from the product and business standpoint
- Helping a team of three engineers interview and hire an industrial designer and ensure that that person integrates into the team
- Attending a meetup in the evening to discuss product development and investment with many hardware startups
- Strong technical background including a BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering or similar
- Five or more years of experience in a design engineering role, ideally having worked with many types of products and through at least one full product-development cycle
- Expertise in component and assembly design (we use Autodesk Inventor and SolidWorks)
- Comfortable working in a machine shop, on 3D printers, with laser cutters, etc.
- Able to understand and learn a wide variety of technologies and markets quickly
- A desire to learn more about the startup/venture capital environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Highly organized, inquisitive, and probing
This is a full-time role in San Francisco. Bolt also has offices in Boston and NYC, and occasional travel to other domestic and international destinations will be required. Can start immediately.
VP of Finance
Bolt is a seed-stage venture capital firm designed specifically to support startups at the intersection of hardware and software. We believe that connected hardware will provide some of the best technology investment opportunities in the coming decades.
Bolt was founded in 2012 with offices in Boston and San Francisco, with plans to raise a third fund in 2017. We have unique engineering, prototyping, and manufacturing capabilities to help our portfolio companies succeed faster and with less capital.
Bolt’s comprehensive approach creates a highly dynamic operational environment not often found in venture firms. As a member of our team you must thrive in this fast-paced community with a high investment velocity. This role is autonomous and demanding, with a high degree of flexibility.
- Fund accounting and reporting (outsourced)
- Management company accounting and reporting
- Deal making support for the GPs
- LP communications support
- Fundraising support
- Operations management - Bolt has two offices with machine shops and an engineering team
- Strong emphasis on state of the art processes and systems
- High energy, hard working, intellectually curious and flexible
- Strong accounting and/or operational background
- At least three years of experience in a venture capital firm or similar environment
- Familiarity with VC fund and deal structures
- Experience with partnership taxes
- Focus on systems and processes - solve problems once
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Based in Boston or SF with occasional travel
This is a full time role, but can be part time for a transitionary period. This position reports to the General Partners, working most closely with Axel Bichara. Please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Working for Bolt
Bolt is a venture capital firm designed to address the unique needs of early-stage startups at the intersection of hardware and software. Bolt has $37M under management and focuses on pre-seed and seed stage companies. In addition to capital, our portfolio companies get support from Bolt's world-class engineering team, access to cutting-edge prototyping shops in San Francisco and Boston, and help with manufacturing.
- Immersed at the forefront of hardware and connected device startups
- 24x7 access to a world-class prototyping shop
- Flexible vacation policy
- Full medical and dental insurance
- 401(k) with employer matching
How to Apply
Send the following to email@example.com:
- Brief bio
- Portfolio of product development work